Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wonderful Irish Sunshine

Soooo, today I woke up and it was SUNNY and GORGEOUS and WARM out, so what was the best way to take advantage of the day? Go for a run of course! I ended up finding the NUIG regional track after I took a detour from the usual route. Super duper (it is a very nice track). On my way home it started to downpour, which was fine with me. Then we went grocery shopping, came home, and went exploring!

I was randomly looking out the window and realized that there was a little path behind our house. Who knew? So Melissa and I went to find it and had to scale a wall to do so. Once we had gotten to the other side, we noticed a little mini horse and this was the smallest horse that I have ever seen in my life. Anywho, it looked lonely so I went up and started to pet it; poor little guy, he was sweating uncontrollably, there was no water anywhere for him to drink, and his eyes were dripping with who-knows-what. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do, sad day. After that we left to resume the afternoon and enjoy more of the day. When climbing over the wall again, what did we find? A lonely license plate! It was at the end of a dead end road and was from 11 years ago and had apparently been abandoned. I think you can tell how this story ends... :D Then it went back to a pretty typical day and we had EARTH HOUR!!!--this is when you shut off everything for an hour. It was dark out and there wasn't much to do, so we went for a walk. Delightful!

That's my day and now I will give y'all some suggestions in case you want to brush up on Irish history (I have these all hyper-linked, so you can click on them for the Wikipedia articles):

Angela's Ashes
by Frank McCourt: This is a book about an Irish family during the 1930s and 40s.

The Wind that Shakes the Barley: This is a movie about the Irish War of Independence from Britain--very sad, very well made, and the actors are actually Irish.

Michael Collins: This is a movie about Michael Collins who was a leader in the Irish revolution and a key player in the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

So, that's all I've got. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. You need to read "How the Irish Saved Civilization" by Thomas Cahill (I think). Great book!

    ReplyDelete