*The little date right above this line says the 15th, but it is 1:33 am and I have not yet gone to bed, so really, it is still Valentine's Day :)
So here we are, the exact middle of the month of February--aah, Valentine's Day. The wonderful day of the year to show your significant other how much they mean to you. On that note, I think that it is aptly nicknamed 'Singles Awareness Day'. Indeed. Let's go through a brief history of the V-Days that I have experienced and see why that is so. Here we go:
-Up to the 4th grade: These were all pretty much the same. Make nifty little construction paper card holders and when that fateful day arrived, give everyone in the class their Valentine card. Pair that with a class party that included sugar cookies and an afternoon of games and it was a brilliant time! I liked this stage--tons of lovely little cards to go around and also tons of sugar. Nothing bad so far. Moving on.
-5th Grade: Giving cards to everyone stopped being mandatory. I did get cards from all of my friends of course. But who else??? Ooh, the one boy who had held my attention for the last year. Heck yes. I remember this card and I have no idea why. It had a picture of two dogs on it (maybe that's why I remember it, what do dogs have to do with Valentines Day?). Anywho, I have no idea what it said, I think my little prepubescent emotions had taken over my ability to read, so all cognitive ability was gone at that point. Haha :) Next.
-6th through Sophmore year: Oh goodness. The awkward years. Not gonna lie, these were a little rough. During this time, giving out the little cards with The Ninja Turtles or Disney Princesses was not "cool", so where did that leave all of the little hormone-stricken junior high students? Oh yes, the carnations. Spend $1.50 to buy one for that special person and all of your dreams could come true. Brutal. To sum this up, every year I did get a carnation from my best friend. This in itself kept me every year from the brutality of being one of the people without a flower being delivered to them in the middle of class. Because it was a small school, everyone knew who did and didn't get a flower. I made it through that phase relatively without incident. Next.
-Junior year: I actually can't remember what happened this year. I know that I had a boyfriend and he got me something. What that something was, I can only venture a guess. I think it may have been something shiny and expensive. Let's see...looking at pictures from my birthday two weeks later and...I am wearing a necklace--the something shiny was a snazzy necklace. So that was my junior year. Next.
-Senior year: I still had the same boyfriend, but he had graduated the year before, so while I wasn't single, I definitely didn't go out and do anything because he was on the other side of the country at this point. However, [little sidenote] I'd always thought it would be nifty to find a note in a bottle (kind of lame, but still would be totally sweet). Being the thoughtful guy that he was, he sent me a note in a bottle and had it delivered to the school. It was really sweet and it made my day :) Next.
-College: Oh joy. This should sum it up nicely. Freshman year: Single. Sophmore year: Technically single. It was either the next day or a couple days later that I had an "official" boyfriend. Junior year: Still single.
So, kids, what have we learned from this????? Pretty much nothing. I wasn't really trying to make this a lesson, so learning nothing fits pretty well :) However, while being single on Valentine's Day does raise awareness of the lack of a relationship that some of us might have, for those of you who are in a healthy, functioning relationship, congratulations and I hope you and your little love bird have a great day :)
As for (all the single ladies, all the single ladies! If you like it then you should have put a ring on it! Just kidding.) those of you who are free to do whatever you little hearts desire on this beautiful day, best of luck. Try not to go to the movies or to dinner unless it is with a large group of other wonderfully free people. If you go by yourself, you will get stared at and these will be stares of pity. I'm just sayin'...don't do it ;)
Moving on, so what DID I actually do to celebrate this gloriously nauseating holiday??? Caused some old-school rumpus of course! Yesterday, my roommates and I hatched a play to heart attack the neighbor boys that are in the other half of the house [Please note that combined between the three of us, we have only ever talked to them twice, but we were bored]. So, we spent 30 minutes cutting out colorful construction paper hearts and BAM we were set. All incognito-like we snuck around the hedges and alas, they were not home. Because of this we took our sweet time and got it all finished. Now to wait. We went home (being stereotypical single girls) and watched the Notebook. Nothing like a sappy chick flick right before Valentine's Day, eh? ;) Anywho, they never showed. So tonight while we were toodling around the house what did we hear, but a very loud TV on the other side of the wall. Victory. They were home. I'm going to skip to the end of the story. It was REALLY hot in our TV room which is in the front of our house and my roommate was opening the window. While she was doing this, one of the neighbors was walking up the driveway and when she noticed him, she let out an absolutely BLOOD CURDLING scream and ran upstairs. As such, I had to answer the door. He was very curious as to why we were creeping out the front window. Then he was wondering if we had seen any "dodgey" people hanging out in front of our house. Dodgey people indeed ;)
So that was my weekend in a glorious little nutshell. Peace out.
Oh, my dear, dear little sister. You crack me up. I wish I was there to be a creeper with you...I miss my Kelty :( However, this means that I can fill you in on MY Valentine's Day via blog comment. Wa wa wa. Anyway, Joel sent me flowers on Saturday (you already knew that) and then on Sunday I woke up to a text telling me to unlock my door. Lo and behold, a couple of minutes later Joel showed up to make me breakfast in bed! What a sweetie. However, since I was already up, I just took a shower and got ready for church while he was cooking breakfast (wow, that sounds all domestic-like...scary). But he made me breakfast burritos and it was the cutest darned thing ever. And then I had a choice later that day to just hang out and go do something on Monday or go down to Wyoming with him Sunday afternoon and meet the rest of the fam. Hmm. What was I to do? As you know, I do enjoy me a good road trip (albeit a short road trip) so I went to the very thriving, crazy metropolis of Cowley, Wyoming and met the rest of Joel's nephews and his dad. We got there about 3:30 and had dinner with his family and then we hung out the rest of the day. We stayed at his dad's house that night and then bummed around with his family yesterday too. It was a pretty low-key type weekend. His family is way nice, but it made me miss my family :( Anyhoosiers, you should call me sometime. I would love, love, love to talk to you. I miss you loads and loads!
ReplyDeleteWow, met the fam. Congratulations. I'm going to call you now. I heart your face.
ReplyDelete