It is snowing right now; you may have already guessed that. I woke up and it was raining, then I looked outside and it had turned to snow. While it was not the most welcome of suprises, it gave me an excuse to wear fun boots today, with a skirt, to a fancy hooplah of sorts. Yeah, buddy! So, I'm over that topic, seeing as how I'll have to trudge through it and all of its wonderful, white powdery glory for the rest of the day.
Onto the next topic. Last night as I was trying to sleep, I had a song stuck in my head, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. But what I realized was that one of the hardest things in life to do is to let go. Let go of our past, let go of our childhood home, who we were, past relationships, friends we once had, grudges, love, and things even as simple as a shirt that was once your favorite and you know you will never wear it again. By letting go I don't mean forgetting it all, changing who you are and always have been to become someone you're not, leaving those you care about behind and forgotten, or in any way denying your past. People change and so do priorities. New friends are gained, relationships formed, and new memories are made (in case you are concerned, I still enjoy going home to see my parents, talking to my friends that I've known since 3rd grade, and I will be the first to show you all of my wonderfully awkward high school yearbooks, but these are not the things around which I base my life. I also do hang out with at least one of my sibilings on a daily basis, and either talk to or write to the other two, so I'm still very close to my family). I've just discovered that by focusing on the past, we miss what is right in front of us.
So, that is my mini tyrade about letting go (it was so provocative, I know). It is healthy and I've discovered that it keeps me from going crazy. For example, last night I started to clean my bedroom and just started chucking stuff in the garbage. It was quite liberating. Also liberating is meeting new people, trying new things, and generally breaking out of the mold that we've constructed for ourselves. That is my wonderful thought for the day. I hope it wasn't too much of a downer, because it really wasn't supposed to be. I've just discovered that focusing on the past will throw off the groove of all of the delightful, random, new experiences that we could be having.
As a note, nothing has happened recently to spur this.
No comments:
Post a Comment