Monday, June 30, 2014

How Seattle Saved My Life

Sorry I haven't posted in a while! As always, my school blog has been getting the majority of my attention. You can see that here. That's what I've been up to. Anywho, in roughly 36 hours I will be going home for the summer. On that note, I'm beginning to realize how much moving has changed my life and my attitude about life. Here goes....

I moved to Seattle to run away. I was running away from bad relationships, I was running away from monotony, and I was running away from the life that I had created that I felt like was stagnant. When I moved here I was sad, lonely, and an absolute train wreck in pretty much every sense of the word. I had just broken up with my boyfriend and I was not taking it well. For the first few days I was here I never left my house. I sat in my apartment and did not see the light of day for four solid days. This was summer in Seattle and I was missing out on the sunshine. Whaaaaaat. My saintly roommate finally dragged me out to the library, then to the beach, and thus began my road to not being a total bum.

Fast forward a few days and I started school. I was in class with 25 other students and I was slightly unfazed. I was still trying to run away from everything, so I just kind of went with whatever life threw at me. As a little time went on I started to get to know everyone, I became more familiar with Seattle, and slowly and without me noticing, I began to accept this as my new normal and move on with life. By the time Christmas break came around I was stabilizing and feeling more comfortable with where I was going. Then when I was home, I saw my ex-boyfriend and everything went into a mild tale spin for the next few weeks and I went back to where I had been. I came back to Seattle after Christmas and threw myself into school and work and things started to look up.

Sorry for how dramatic this sounds.

So why has Seattle changed my life?

I came here not knowing anyone and I think that ended up being kind of perfect. I have gotten the chance to start over and I've gotten the chance to figure out life for myself without an immediately available safety net. I have also learned what and who I need in my life to be happy.

I don't have everything figured out, but it's getting closer. I am finally ok with my past, my demons have been buried, and I can finally live without hiding behind them.

Sorry for the weird post, especially since it's the first one I've written in a while. On that note, let me leave you with one new obsession and a new take on one lingering obsession. Also, I will leave you with a few really fantastic pictures courtesy of tumblr:

New obsession:


Old obsession:





No comments:

Post a Comment