Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lessons from 90s Movies

So recently (3 hours ago), I watched Take Me Home Tonight. Let me break down the plot:

[Nerdy] Guy likes [Popular] Girl in high school.
They both graduate without anything happening.
Ten years later, they go to the same party.
They hook up.
The end.

There you have it. I mean there's definitely more in there, but those are the basics. Look familiar???? It should if you have seen Can't Hardly Wait. Different timeline but same plot. So what can we learn from these movies? We'll make a list:
  1. Nerdy dudes get hot chicks even if they have no job.
  2. The defining scene for finding your soul mate will come at a crappy house party that lasts until 8 am. At that point, everyone gets breakfast.
I think that's a good enough list for now (it is 2:21 am, after all). While these lessons are quite applicable to everyday life, we cannot forget what other 90s gems have taught us:
  1. Accordions will get you girls (Whatever It Takes)
  2. Quoting Shakespeare actually works...especially when pyrotechnics are involved (Get Over It)
  3. Girls will still give guys a second chance even when they find out they're part of a dare (She's All That AND 10 Things I Hate About You...bonus points!)
  4. People with names of famous couples are destined to end up together (Empire Records)
  5. It's ok to hook up with teachers (Never Been Kissed)
So now that these very, very important life lessons have been established, it's time for me to go to bed. G'night.  

**Disclaimer: I love movies from the 90s. In fact, they may be some of my favorites, if not at the very top of the list. If this post makes it seem otherwise, I apologize profusely.**

No comments:

Post a Comment